Site Search

Top Ads

Tidal Power Plants in India

Durgaduani Tidal Power Project, West Bengal

West Bengal Renewable Energy Development Agency (WBREDA) had conducted a feasibility study for setting up of 3.75 MW tidal power plant at the Durgaduani Creek in Sunderbans region of West Bengal. In February 2008, under the Tidal Energy Programme, the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) sanctioned a demonstration project for setting up a 3.75 MW tidal power plant at Durgaduani Creek in Sunderbans, West Bengal. The NHPC Limited was given responsibility to execute the project. The total estimated project cost was Rs. 48 crore, out of which 90% (i.e. Rs. 43.20 crore) was to be shared by the MNRE and the remaining 10% (i.e. Rs. 4.80 crore) by the Government of West Bengal. However, the project has been discontinued due to very high tender cost amounting to Rs. 238 crores against originally estimated cost of Rs. 48 crores.

Tidal Power Project in Gulf of Kutch, Gujarat

Government of Gujarat has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in January 2011 for establishing a 250 MW tidal power project in Gulf of Kutch with Gujarat Power Corporation Ltd. (GPCL) Vadodara, Atlantis Resource Corporation, United Kingdom and Perfect Mining Energy Solutions, Singapore. A Special Purpose Vehicle was incorporated in May, 2011 and GPCL has taken up a 50 MW tidal power project at Mandavi in district Kutch in first phase.

A feasibility study for setting up of a 900 MW tidal power project in Kutch district of Gujarat was conducted by National Hydro Power Corporation Ltd. in the early nineties. The project was not found to be commercially viable due to high capital cost as well as high cost of generation of electricity.

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Breadcrumbs